Hey, how were your snow days? Mine were ideal. I don't mind snow. I found myself often staring out the window at the winter scape forming outside. Falling snow is calming. Daydream Nation.
Day I, whiteout:
Day II, evil icicles:
Got to do tons of reading, some writing (not blogging, but the paying kind!), baking, cooking.
It's a little frightening how comfortable I am staying at home for days, without want.
But, then again, maybe it all cleared away before I could even begin going mad. Friends & expats in Fayetteville & NYC, with their endless barrage of snowfall, sound crazed. May the sun shine on their sidewalks and faces NOW.
This past Saturday, ATM & I met his mum & step dad in Memphis to catch up & hang out. I haven't seen them since I don't even know when. It was a fine day! Blue, clear skies and the sun took the bite out of the air. We met up at Fuel Cafe, a restaurant we've never tried, but were attracted to by the amount of vegan/vegetarian items on the menu. While the food wasn't "out of this world", I would eat here again and again because it is simply delicious and there is a little something for everyone. Memphis loves their brunch; our table enjoyed quiches, a veggie tofu scramble, and a veggie frittatta. For starters, we had a cheese plate & some vegetarian quinoa chili.
We really didn't have a plan mapped out for the day. So, we started driving towards downtown and were about to drive past Sun Studio, but decided to stop in & take the tour. We go to Memphis often enough, but have never been on the tour, so it was new experience. There are no frills here, but we had a charming tour guide and it was neat to look at the cute young Jerry Lee Lewis photos on the wall. Did you know that it was a woman who technically discovered Elvis?
These are original tiles from the hey day!
After Sun Studios, we went to the visitor's center to regroup and try to figure out what our next move was going to be. Hello, Memphis Zoo!
Here's the official Happy McValentine's Day photo...awwwwwww! Besos!
But, you can't haff any of my greeeeeens:
Timber wolves. I've never seen sadder dogs in my life, tails way down. They only came up close when children were near.
Real Memphis Grizzlies, they were really interested in something:
It was extremely difficil to get one good photo of the sea lions, but they were amazing! Flirty and ever-gliding, I had one of those moments where I was like, "You are well suited to do what you do."
We got to see the polar bear, but he seemed completely distressed, pacing back and forth. I'm one of those bleeding hearts that have mixed feelings about zoos. I've met keepers who are really passionate about the animals they care for, but I can't help the feelings of guilt that arise. Polar bears do not really belong in Memphis, but it's the only way I can lay eyes on one up close and with the threat of extinction and all, I appreciate the opportunity to see them. So beautiful. There are usually two, but we only saw the one.
We were in for a treat as far as the pandas go -- usually, they DON'T MOVE. Mr. Dirtybottoms walked around, scratched his rear on a post & walked around some more.
This little boo just sat back and ate. So cute, but another threatened species:
We got to see the endangered Bonobos, too, but my photos didn't turn out. What is that strange feeling you get when you watch primates?
It wasn't long before the sun started setting and the crisp returned to the air. We got a good walk in, it was time to think of supper.
For me, discovering a fine restaurant is one of the best feelings. You don't get to experience novelty often in life, I've learned, so a good meal that makes your heart sing is bliss. I try to bury these memories deep in my mind for laters. We dined @ Pearl's Oyster House on Main St. I've never heard of it or noticed it during my many trips to Memphis. ATM & I wanted to dine on some seafood (so, I guess that technically makes us pescatarian) and we saw Pearl's earlier in the day. They have one of those menus where you just can't decide what you want. But, we finally settled on a dozen Gulf Coast oysters for starters. I firmly believe that the Gulf produces THE BEST oysters and these did not disappoint.
It took me a long time to decide, but I finally opted for mussels as my entree. It's one of those decisions where you can't help, but congratulate yourself. Ye olde "I'm so glad I did that." They prepare them in a tomato broth, my favorite, as opposed to a white wine sauce. Perfection. I need to go back.
We rounded off the entire meal with a divine bread pudding. ATM's mum claimed that it was "slap your momma" good which is good that she and ATM weren't sitting next to each other. Anyway, I'm inclined to agree. Damn.
She and Anthony had a chocolate mousse cheesecake. I'm not crazy about cheesecake, but that was ultra tasty. I'd hit it again.
We got some coffees to-go (one for the road) said our good-byes and went back to North Little Rock. It's one of those days that I'll totally look back on and just know that I've got it made. We are so lucky to have supportive, nice parents in our lives. Besos to Trisha & Anthony!
In other news, I might be a published writer very soon! It's no big deal, just doing some write-ups and reviews of restaurants for the Arkansas Times. I'm glad to hone my writing skills AND get paid for it. All money raised will go towards ATM & I's future trip to London and Glasgow. We also accept donations, heh. I dare not let my mind wander to travel because I get overly excited and it makes me a little ill with anticipation.




























No comments:
Post a Comment